Compiled by Adele S. O'Boyle - Siuslaw Pioneer Museum Librarian
Airport Robt. Kyle 1946-47
Area inhabitants Siuslaw Indians.
Automobile First auto (Ford) owned by Millard Martin in 1917
Bank 1909 - Lane County Savings Bank Opened with capital of $10,000.00
Bridge completed 1936 - opens to the public March 31
Cabinet Maker 1849 – 1928 - Chamberlain - shop on Bay St.
Canary grass 1906 - Fiddle Creek Seeds planted by Wm. Hutch
Cannery 1877 - George Duncan near mouth of Siuslaw River
Cheese Factory Houghton's – 1908 - Closed 1920's
Church Presbyterian - 1892
Coast Guard Station 1917
First rescue was a fishing boat – 1918. 1919 the Liza Ann was rescued followed by several more; several lives were saved. 1945 - Station closed, leaving only one watchman to care for the property.
Coastal Highway 1922
Highway replaced a trail late in 1940 (Roosevelt Hwy)
Dairy 1924 - Grade-A diary operated by Wm. Lloyd Saubert: 1893-1970 on the Siuslaw River until 1902, at which time the dairy cows were replaced with beef cattle.
Dentist Dr. W. E. Tatom
Drugstore 1912 E. F. Sur Pace
Earphones Radio - 1922
Electric Lines installed in Old Town in 1912
Ferry run started to Glenada in 1913
Fire Truck Dec. 1910
Florence Incorporated 1893 with population of 510 (-B.F. Abbey)
Graduating Class (8th Grade)... 1902
Gym 1913 built near high school
Homestead David Morse. 1876 - "Uncle Davey"
Hotel "Prudence" Safely ...became "Florence Hotel" in 1882 when shipwreck sign placed over door.
House numbers installed 1956. Many original street names were changed from Presidents names to tree names.
Indian Village 1876.- Built by about 150 Siuslaw Indians, near where the North Fork joins the Siuslaw.
Inhabitants in Siuslaw Area 1855; all Indians.
Jetty started 1892 - ran out of money - ceased work until more funds available - able to restart in 1903 - completed 1917
Library 1906 Association formed - Building was East of (but near) Kyle's bldg.
Married James McLeod and Mary Hadsell 1882. Then first to set up housekeeping.
Masonic Lodge established 1892
Mayor of Florence 1893.- Capt. Millard Fillmore Parker...
Mills, (Saw) Dr. Saubert 1884 - Siuslaw Lumber Co. Spruce Point 1892 - Also Saubert Mill in Acme 1892 - David & Sons Mill in Glenada
Newspaper "The West" - B.F. Alley 1890. “Siuslaw Oar” established in 1928
Odd Fellows Lodge # III - established 1892
Post Offices boxes 1911
Pavement 1913 or 1914. Located at the crossing of Kyle's store Florence Hotel and Brund's confectionery. Work was done by one elderly man who succeeded by using sand and asphalt.
Platted Town 1880
Population 300+ 1902
Port District 1909
Post office in Kyle Store ... 1888
Queen of Rhody Days (Laura Johnson) 1908
Railroad Eugene to Cushman 1914 (then south to Coos Bay)
Rhododendron Festival 1908; 3rd week in May
River Name of Siuslaw River (Indian words for far away water) 2nd name "Ka-Hits" (Indian word for gleaming water)
Route F March 1957
Route F became Oregon Hwy 126 1964
Sawmill George Duncan – 1877
Sawmill O.W. Hurd - Operated mill until 1913, when he died.
Sea Lion Caves 1st man to enter 1887
Sea Lion Caves opened to public 1932
Shipping peak of 6 million board foot-lumber - 1900
School 1st built in 1886. Bldg. was too small so 2nd was built on Bay St. in 1890 (2-room in Odd Fellows Hall ... 1898) 4-room in Florence ... 1904
Shipwreck Siuslaw Bar - 1856
Steamboat Coos, Mink, Kyle's 100hsp-Robart - 1892
Store General Enterprise - A. Moody 1883-84. Merchandise - Rice Brothers 1912
Steamboat Marion Hall - 1892
Teacher Emma Bean 1887 ($40. a month)
Telephone Florence to Cushman – 1905. To Glenada – 1908. Battery phone - 1949 (replaced hand cranked system)
Water line installed - 1916
White trapper in area 1826
White settlers George Duncan family - 1876
Wooden sidewalks replaced 1944