Large coho salmon runs on the Siuslaw River attracted many early settlers to the area. The Duncan Cannery opened in 1877 and was soon followed by numerous canneries which flourished as the fishing industry grew. In 1894 the William Kyle Cannery was established. Cans were made by hand in preparation for the fish brought to the canneries which were cleaned, cut and processed. It was not uncommon for 500 cases to be canned by a cannery in a single day. Cases of canned fish were then shipped out on schooners, which often carried 3500 cases of salmon and 100 barrels of salt salmon for shipment to San Francisco.
The on-site William Kyle Library maintains files on the following canneries. These files are available for public viewing on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Contact the library (541) 977-7884, ext 1 for further information.
Fruit Cannery – Cushman
Hosford & Grant
Meyer & Kyle
Saubert Fish Company